|Click to enlarge||*Currently unavailable.* |
*We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.*
Currently not available
This easy to build clock kit shows off the unique and rare IN-17 Nixie tube. They are among the smallest ever produced, with the front of the tube being no bigger then a US dime.
The tubes are directly driven using high voltage driver ICs. This ensures solid, flicker-free operation. The high voltage needed to run the tubes is generated on board, using an efficient DC to DC converter, there are no line voltages to handle.
The heart of the clock is a pre-programmed Micro-Controller, driven by a watch crystal and backed up by a high power capacitor, it can withstand power outages in excess of 12 hours without losing time.
New in version 1.10: Features include a digit cycling option, which is used to cycle digits in various patterns. The cycling feature ca
n be configured to run at midnight, every hour, or every minute. The cycling that runs every minute is much like a slot machine, and can be co
nfigured to cycle either random numbers or incrementally. The digits can also be setup to stop cycling in 4 different configurations: left to
right, right to left, all at once or randomly. Not only does this option make for an interesting display, ecpecially because of the 3D nature
of the tube, but it also helps to prevent cathode poisoning.
New in version 1.10: A seperate cathode poisoning prevention feature is also offered. This option will cycle the least used digits of t
he clock for a certain amount of time to help prevent poisoning.
New in version 1.10: In addition to being able to dim the tubes from 10 to 100%, the user also has the option of timed dimming. This fe
ature can be used to dim or completly turn off tubes for a duration of time every day. This is useful in case the brightness of the display at
night time is bothersom and also helps preserve tube life.
Kit includes everything required to assemble the clock. 4 IN-17 nixie tubes, high voltage driver ICs, microcontroller, DC adapter (110v), etc.
User supplies their own custom case to complete the project. It can be built in two configurations, upright or 'edge-view'. The kit includes
2 different switch types and power jacks to help accomodate your case design. A detailed assembly and owners manual, complete with schematic a
nd mounting dimensions, is included. Board size is 3.8" wide x 2.5" high.
- Unique, tiny, 9mm digit height Nixie tubes.
- Directly Driven, solid, flicker-free operation.
- Efficient DC-DC converter, no line voltages to handle.
- Pre-programmed micro-controller.
- User selectable 12/24 hour mode.
- Crystal controlled, with user adjustable software correction.
- Powered by a DC source, can be used worldwide (with appropriate DC adapter).
- High quality, double sided, silkscreened and soldermasked PCB with plated-through holes.
- Flexible tube mounting options, upright or edge-view.
- Capacitor time backup of 12+ hours, no backup batteries to replace.
- User selectable digit cycling, prevents cathode poisoning of unused digits.
- NEW IN FIRMWARE VERSION 1.10:
- Brightness controls in 10 steps, 10-100%.
- Timed dimming of tubes, can be used to dim or turn off tubes at night.
- User selectable digit cycling with many different display modes, prevents cathode poisoning of unused digits.
- User selectable cathode poisoning prevention, used to preserve operation of unused digits.
- Capacitor time backup increased to 16 hours.
- Upgrades available for previous revisions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Clock includes a 110v input, 9v DC output 200ma, AC adapter. This can be ommited if desired.
Note: Kit contains 6 surface mount components
!!!! WARNING !!!!
This kit generates high voltage.
High voltage can cause serious injury or death.
Assembly should only be attempted by competent persons familiar with electronics and high voltage safety.
Safe assembly and operation of this kit is
the users responsibility. In no event shall Neonixie be held liable to you or any third parties for any special, punitive, incidental, indirect, consequential, or any other damages resulting from the assembly or use of this kit.
The assembled unit should be properly encased to
prevent contact with high voltages.
Neonixie warranties the components in this kit to be free from defects for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase. Defective components will be replaced at our cost. If you suspect a component to be defective, please contact us for troubleshooting assistance and/or return instructions. Please do not return the whole kit. Kit cannot be refunded once assembly has begun.
|Kit designer's custom machined case
||Customer built case, with add on dekatron
||Ken's (N6AWA) IN174D clock next to a Rockmite HF CW transmitter (in an Altoids tin!) and a home built ATV circuit.
||Ken's (N6AWA) nixie clock mounted in a CW (morse code) paddle case.
User Manual in PDF v1.01 (kitmanual-IN174D-rev1.01.pdf)